This Compressed Gases (CCOHS) online training course outlines the hazards associated with the storage and handling of compressed gases, and how you can work with them safely using industry-proven best practices. References to legislation, standards, and guidance materials are provided where appropriate.
Gases are compressed to make them easier to use and transport. However, compressed gases have their own unique physical, chemical, and mechanical hazards. These hazards must be understood in order to work safely with compressed gases.
To complement this course, it is recommended that hands-on training is performed at the facility level regarding the specific use, handling, and storage policies and practices used at the organization. The course was developed by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS).
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online Compressed Gases course, the user will learn to:
- Define a compressed gas
- Outline their uses and benefits
- Describe legislative requirements associated with the use of compressed gases
- Understand the hazards associated with the use, storage, handling, and transportation of compressed gas cylinders
- Understand the proper use and selection of regulators and needle valves
- Identify faulty regulators, lines, or cylinders (ie. Leaks)
- Identify specific safe handling considerations for welding, brazing, and other allied uses, laboratory use, use of cylinders for breathing assistance
This online Compressed Gases course is made up of the following sections:
- Definitions, uses, and legislation
- Hazards associated with compressed gas use, handling, storage, and transport
- General safe handling and transportation procedures
- General storage requirements
- Specific uses and safety considerations
This Compressed Gases online training course was designed for anyone who is required to use, handle, or transport compressed gas cylinders.
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.