In this Backing Vehicles Safely online training course, you will learn safe backing techniques applicable to all types of vehicles, as well as best practices for specific types of vehicles and work situations. This course will explore the basics steps of backing up, summarize when a spotter should be used, and recognize a traffic control plan.
No matter how much you drive, backing up can be a challenge. People who drive for work may drive forwards for tens of thousands of miles/kilometers in a year, but may only back up one or two miles/kilometers in the same period! This fact, combined with other issues such as speed, poor visibility, and driver distraction results in the fact that approximately 25% of vehicle accidents happen while vehicles are backing up.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online Backing Vehicles Safely course, the user will learn to:
- Explain the actions to take before backing up in a vehicle.
- Recall the basic steps for safe backing.
- Summarize the situations where a spotter should be used.
- Describe how a driver and spotter should interact.
- Recognize the purpose and contents of a traffic control plan.
- Summarize the recommended practices for backing up fire apparatus and ambulances.
This online Backing Vehicles Safely course is made up of the following sections:
- Before Backing Up
- Safe Backing Basics
- Backing Up Trucks, Fire Apparatus and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Vehicles
This Backing Vehicles Safely online training course was designed for municipalities, transportation companies, commercial drivers, fire services, emergency medical services.
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.