The Administrative Simplification provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) include national standards for electronic health care transactions, codes, identifiers, and security and privacy standards for personal health information.
This How to Comply with HIPAA online training course provides a general overview of what is referred to as the Privacy Rule and discusses the key provisions and significant exceptions. Note that certain actions permitted by these regulations may nonetheless be prohibited or restricted by other state or federal law.
Please note that the information contained in this module is intended for general use by employers and employers that sponsor group health plans. Thus it may not include all of the specific requirements for all types of covered entities (for example, physicians or hospitals). Therefore, it should not be relied upon to meet the specific training requirements for employees of those covered entities. For specific legal advice, you should consult legal counsel.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online How to Comply with HIPAA course, the user will learn to:
- Define key HIPAA terms
- Explain the privacy requirements for covered entities
- Discuss disclosures of protected health information (PHI) and individual rights in regards to PHI
- Understand administrative requirements under HIPAA
- Understand the requirements for employers with group health plans under HIPAA
- Understand the privacy requirements under HIPAA for the plan sponsor
- Understand the provisions applicable to all employers and the HIPAA security requirements
- Be aware of the legal penalties one could face for disregarding HIPAA
This online How to Comply with HIPAA course is made up of the following sections:
- Definitions of Key HIPAA Terms
- Restrict Uses and Disclosures of Protected Health Information
- Respect Individual Rights With Regard to PHI
- Implement Administrative Requirements
- Requirements for Employers with Group Health Plans
- Privacy Requirements for Plan Sponsors
- Provisions Applicable to All Employers
- HIPAA Security Requirements
- State Law, Enforcement, and Penalties
This How to Comply with HIPAA online training course was designed for employees and supervisors.
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.
31 - 60 Minutes
Audio, Mobile, NASBA CPE - QAS Self Study
|NASBA CPE Credits