Everyone occasionally feels anxious, blue, or sad, but these feelings usually are fleeting and pass within a couple of days. When a person has anxiety or depressive disorder, it significantly interferes with daily life, makes normal functioning impossible, and causes pain for both the person and those who care about them. Although it is difficult to quantify the impact of work itself on personal identity, self-esteem, and social recognition, most mental health professionals agree that the workplace environment can have a significant impact on an individual's well-being.
This Mental Health: Signs, Symptoms and Solutions online training course will explore the signs, symptoms, and solutions for mental illnesses commonly experienced in the workplace.
The course was developed by the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) in collaboration with the High Point Wellness Centre.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online Mental Health course, the user will learn to:
- Recognize the signs of common mental illnesses at work
- Review practical situations and case studies including depression, phobias, anxiety disorders, and abuse/dependence issues
- Use communication skills and strategies in a workplace setting
- Understand the importance of getting help and support including accommodation and best practices for return-to-work strategies.
This online Mental Health course is made up of the following sections:
- Recognizing Signs
- Phobias and Anxiety
- High-Risk Drinking or Problematic Alcohol Use
- Getting Help and Support
This Mental Health online training course was designed for employers, employees, managers, and supervisors interested in mental health in the workplace.
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.