This Let's Talk About Racism online training course explores racism in today's society, racial discrimination, systemic racism and how individuals, businesses and government can take actions to end racism.
When George Floyd, an unarmed black man, died after a police officer kneeled on his neck for almost nine minutes, outrage was ignited around the world demanding racial justice. It has thrust “racism” into the spotlight for the world to acknowledge and reckon with.
How do we begin disrupting the racism that runs deep in this continent? We listen, we learn, and we act. This online Let's Talk About Racism training course begins the conversation about systemic racism that plagues our systems and institutions. Start a conversation yourself or share this course with a sibling, a friend, a co-worker, or your employer. Talk about how systemic racism is real and how we all need to be fighting to end it.
This course will help you have educated conversations about racism and equip you with the information and actions to fight racial injustice.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online Let's Talk About Racism course, the user will learn:
- Explain terms related to racism and racial discrimination.
- Compare individual and systemic racism.
- Describe the effects of systemic racism on North American society.
- Outline the steps that you, as an individual, can take to combat racism.
- Review the measures that businesses can implement to identify biases and support racialized employees.
- Describe the role that governments can play in disrupting racism and empowering racialized communities.
This online Let's Talk About Racism course is made up of the following sections:
- Course Objectives
- A Brief History
- The Struggle for Equality
- Racism in Contemporary North America
- The Language Around Racism
- White Privilege
- Social Advantage
- White Fragility
Comparing Individual and Systemic Racism
- Types of Racism
- Individual vs. Institutional Racism
- Racial Inequality in the United States
- Systemic Racism Revealed
- Racial Inequality in Canada
What Can You Do?
- Can You Make a Difference?
- Listen and Empathize
- Speak Out
- Engage with People Who Are Racist
- Get Involved and Act
What Can Organizations and Employers Do?
- What Role Can Organizations Play?
- Speak Out
- Review Workplace Demographics
- Modify Policies and Initiatives
- Create Safe Environments
- Have Bias Training Programs
- Create a Racial Equity Learning Group
- Modify Business Practices
- Focus on Organizational Culture
- Encourage Civic Engagement
- Emphasize the Advantages of a Diverse Workforce
What Can Governments Do?
- What Role Can Governments Play?
- Provide Leadership
- Empower Racialized Communities
- Provide Funding
- Collect, Monitor, and Report Data
- Raise Awareness
- Respond to Racism and Discrimination
- Black Lives Matter
This Let's Talk About Racism online training course was designed for the everyone.
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.